Fathering & Family Life
- helpline and support for male victims of domestic abuse in Ireland.
Child Maintenance Choices
- free and confidential information to help separated parents to make informed choices about child maintenance in Northern Ireland.
- Irish website for fathers and fathers-to-be covering a broad range of issues.
- UK website providing information on a spectrum of topics.
Families Need Fathers
- concerned with the problems of maintaining a child's relationship with both parents during and after family breakdown in the UK.
- UK website featuring research, reports, practice issues and resources.
Fathers and Families: Research and Reflection on Key Questions
- Department of Health and Children Report published in 2000.
Home-Start Northern Ireland
- network of trained volunteers offering practical support to parents who are struggling to cope.
Men in Limerick Experiencing Separation
(MILES) - support group for men who are coping with the effects of a relationship breakdown or who are separated from their family.
Men's Advisory Project
(MAP) - counselling for male victims of domestic abuse in Northern Ireland, and offers anger management support.
Parenting Forum Northern Ireland
- highlights the needs of parents in order to influence policy, planning and service delivery.
- provides information and a listening ear to parents in the Republic of Ireland.
Parents Advice Centre
- offers a free and confidential helpline
for parents in Northern Ireland, parenting education courses
, and a range of articles
on parenting issues.
Sands Northern Ireland
- support to parents and families bereaved by stillbirth and neonatal death.
- independent advice and advocacy service to parents of children with special educational needs in Northern Ireland.
The Ultimate Guide to Addiction and Suicide
by Paul Clarke at Ocean Recovery Centre.
Men & Mental Health Contacts
Addiction Prevention: 34 Essential Lesson Plans for Educators
Alternative Treatments for Addiction
- is a non-profit partnership in the West of Ireland which offers personal development and emotional support services.
- supports those who are directly affected by depression and offers a helpline (Republic of Ireland). For Aware in Northern Ireland, click here
- free and confidential counselling to young people in Northern Ireland.
Drug Prevention 4 Teens
- signposting to a United Kingdom-wide network of professional counsellors. Also provides a range of statistics, useful articles, and information.
- network of mental health support groups throughout Ireland.
Heads Away Just Say
- mental health support and advice for young people on a range of subjects.
Mental Health Ireland
- national voluntary organisation offering information, events, research, networks and projects.
Minding Your Head
- spot the symptoms of poor mental health and find simple ways to stay healthy.
National Office for Suicide Prevention
- research, training and reports in this field.
National Suicide Research Foundation
- research evidence which contributes to the prevention of suicidal behaviour in Ireland.
- information and resources for people coping with schizophrenia.
RU Right in the Head?
- booklet for young men, providing information on issues which can affect their mental and emotional wellbeing.
- confidential and non-judgemental emotional support, 24 hours a day, for people who are experiencing distress or despair.
- partnership to reduce stigma and challenge the discrimination associated with mental health problems.
- support for people affected by mental ill-health.
Stamp Out Suicide!
- suicide awareness information for those feeling depressed and suicidal, and for those bereaved by suicide.
Stress, Mental Health and Suicide: Men
- inequalities and unfair access issues emerging from the DHSSPS (2004) “Equality and Inequalities in Health and Social Care: A Statistical Overview” Report (PDF, 68KB).
Teen Depression - A Guide for Parents
- helpline for teenagers which provides a listening and support service.
The Mesothelioma Center
- information about mesothelioma, a rare cancer that affects protective membranes surrounding lungs, heart and abdominal cavity mainly caused by asbestos exposure
Your Mental Health
- improves awareness and understanding of mental health and well-being in Ireland.
ZocDoc Search for Mental Health Service Providers
Physical Activity & Diet
- cycle routes in Northern Ireland for all abilities.<
Eurobarometer report on sport and physical activity
Get a Life, Get Active
- information, motivation and tips to increase your level of physical activity.
Get Ireland Active
Highway to Health
- developed by Northern Ireland Chest, Heart & Stroke
to encourage people of all ages to walk for leisure and good health.
Irish Heart Foundation
- information on why we need to get active and how.
- trails and walking routes in Ireland.
- suggestions for little steps to becoming more active.
The National Guidelines on Physical Activity for Ireland
- guide to outdoor activities in Northern Ireland.
Slí na Sláinte
- scheme developed by the Irish Heart Foundation
to encourage people to walk for leisure and good health.
- walking routes in Northern Ireland for both the serious rambler and short strollers.
Weigh 2 Live
- practical advice on weight loss, developed by nutritionists from SafeFood
and dietitians from the Irish Nutrition and Dietetic Institute
Research, Statistics, Policy & Reports
Gender Equality Strategy Statistics - 2011 Update
(PDF, 735KB): Prepared for the Office of the First Minister and Deputy First Minister in Northern Ireland (OFMDFM) by the Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency (NISRA
Getting Inside Men's Health
: Outcomes of a research project to inform the development of a National Men's Health Policy in the Republic of Ireland.
Health in Ireland: Key Trends 2011
(PDF, 2.26MB): Health data on the Republic of Ireland over the past decade, which aims to highlight trends and topics of growing concern, as well as to assess progress in the broader EU context.
Men in Northern Ireland (MiNI) Series
: Headline factsheets on males, presenting key statistics relating to demography, work, health, education, family life and caring responsibilities (prepared by staff from ARK
Men's Life and Times
: A module within the 2000 and 2004 Northern Ireland Life and Times Survey
, conducted by the ARK
team within Queen's University Belfast and the University of Ulster. This research explores the attitudes of both men and women to issues affecting men.
North Leitrim Men's Research
: Report, in 2001, on research conducted by the North Leitrim Men's Group into the needs of single rural men.
Social Focus on Men
: Produced by National Statistics
, this report provides an overview of the changing lives and roles of men in the United Kingdom in terms of their health, work, income, education, family situation and lifestyle in 2001.
Women and Men in Ireland, 2011
(PDF, 1.21MB): Gender equality indicators collated by the Central Statistics Office in the Republic of Ireland.